Tuesday 15 November 2011

Task one - Who am I- Who are they

In order to prepare for this task I did a mini brain storm as follows:





My current motivation is intensive research based intelligent design.  At level one I was particularly enjoying Information graphics and from early on an inspiration has been Public Space information and signage.  However the current brief design, designing a Brand and Identity and also the packaging and promotion for print has also engaged me .  So what I can draw from this experience?  The intensive research and analysis I enjoy can be applied to most types of longer term Design based projects.

For this exercise I have focused on the client group, Public Spaces particularly Museums and Art Galleries. My only concern with this area is that over the last ten years the Labour Government invested heavily in Culture which is evident in the Rich and innovative Graphics which ever Public Space you care to visit around the country.  However when the Conservative/Lib Dems came into power they have slashed public spending dramatically and I would imagine Culture is one area which will feel the pinch.

Regardless of this Culture is definitely an area I would aspire to work.  Referencing back to the Industrial experience Task two I showed some exciting work from Nick Bell and Build for the Design Museum.  In order to engage the public, particularly children and young people, intelligent, interactive and engaging design is essential.  Not only that the Public needs to be reminded through promotion that these Cultural Spaces exist.  Also another driver that did not occur to me until Paul from generation press mentioned is that the Design has to appear to add value for money and not look to expensive.  Overall I think this client group would be challenging not just in terms of budget constraints but also in terms of Committee type decision making.




No comments:

Post a Comment