Monday 20 May 2013

Interview at Coats

Coats offered me an interview which was today.  Coats is an international company however the UK part of the Crafts supplier of the business.  They have several brands within the Coats family including Rowan and Patons wool, Coats sewing thread, Opti zips and Milward haberdashery.




The position is Graphic Designer, a new role within the head office to support the Marketing department.  They have a dedicated Design team for the Rowan Wool brand.  The Marketing manager Emma and The Head of Rowan Design David interviewed me.

After they introduced the role which will be across print, digital and include assisting with Exhibition Graphics. I talked through my portfolio with them.  they seem quite impressed with some of the work.  David observed that the D&AD brief may have been unsuccessful because of the cost involved .  They both liked the concept.

They asked which software I felt most comfortable with and I said I tend to use Indesign for most design but use Photoshop and Illustrator when appropriate.

They were concerned I did not have any Commercial experience and David actually said what would I say to that.  I replied that whilst I did not have commercial experience I had worked in a professional
environment for twenty years in organisations of all sizes, as part of a team and also leading a team.  I also pushed the emphasis on the Degree for professional design for print standard.  

He also asked how I felt about pressure and again I explained how I had always worked in an environment with weekly, monthly and annual deadlines and also managed my family whilst working.

I asked them if they had strict Brand Guidelines.  They said it depends who you ask! They do have guidelines but they will be flexible depending on the audience and context.
  
David almost qualified at the end that he thought I had a good portfolio and had a real eye for colour however he recommended I put in more commercial work.  I asked specifically what he meant by that . He said work with real clients that was actually out there.

They are interviewing all week however they plan to shortlist and introduce a short project to the shortlisted candidates.



No comments:

Post a Comment