Sunday 5 May 2013

More emails to studios

I also contacted the following studios in connection with my Design context on 13 March:

Local Branding Agencies
10 Associates
The Engine Room

Branding Agencies
Someone (Simon Manchipp)
Brass
The Brand Nursery
Thompson Brand Partners
The Consult
Elmwood (Chris Jackson)
Multiadaptor

Studios
Designers Republic (Ian Anderson)
Kent Lyons
A Practice for Everyday life (APFEL)

The email was basically asking for a quote about what branding means to them.   More details on my Design Practice

I received responses from Noel lyons from Kent Lyons and Simon Manchipp from Someone.  I also received an email off Ian Anderson saying he would respond if I directed the question more as he could rattle on about this subject for hours.

10 Associates replied a few weeks later saying they would try to get back to me with something.  

After the disappointing response I decided to be more prescriptive about what I wanted from them, I sent the second email on .  I had also done a lot more research so my ideas were become more focused.

This was the email I sent on 28 April although I customised it slightly for each recipient

Hi
I understand you must get loads of emails from students and graduates however I don't want anything other than a few opinions for my FMP project which will be published as part of a book.
The three questions:
1. In your experience, should Brands always have an authentic and true back story? Please explain why you think this.
2. Would your Agency ever turn down a brief from a Client for reasons other than capacity and if so why?
3. How important is Social Media to you as an Agency and also within the context of a branding brief?

Background
I am in my third and final year studying BA (hons) Graphic Design at Leeds College of Art as a mature student. I explored Branding and Authenticity in my dissertation 'Is the relationship of the brand Vans with wider culture, authentic or insidious?' As part of my FMP I have been focusing on Youth Brands, lifestyle and culture. I am intrigued by my teenage son's fascination with brands such as Vans and Hollister. I was also quite alarmed when I researched Hollister, owned by Abercrombie and Fitch, and discovered their whole back story is fake.

What makes this even more intriguing is the fact that there are lots of discussions in the Media about how Social Media is empowering people and Brands need to sit up and listen EG the withdrawal of Gap's rebrand following public pressure.

 I hope you are able to add some 'real world' insight into my research and look forward to hearing from you.
 Best regards Lisa Whitaker

 PS If possible and not too presumptuous I would appreciate a response by Monday 6 May 2013

I contacted (On Andy's advise I focused on Strategic level managers as the questions were considering the 'bigger picture'):

Ian Thompson Creative Director at Thompson Branding
Mike Black at Brass (On the board)
Jason Mortimer at Brass (Art Director)
James Acton at The Brand Nursery
Tim Moyes at Savvy (Head of Design)
Josh Newman at Epitype ( London nased studio who followed me on Twitter)
Lee Bennett at Propaganda (Design director)
Sophie Ward at Pearlfisher (Her articles have been informing my practice)

So far only James Acton got back to me however he did request I send the request through on College letter headed paper as they get a lot of fraudulent requests.  i did so the same day and he got back to me straight away.

Ian Anderson has also responded.

I also sent the redrafted email to Chris Jackson at Elmwood, Michael at 10 Associates




No comments:

Post a Comment