Tuesday 8 May 2012

Making contacts in the Design world.

A friend of a friend is running his own Labels and packaging business in Bolton after being in the industry for the last 20 years (he studied GD at Leeds Met 20 years ago!)


His clients are from the  textiles/garment sector including Paul Smith, Pretty Green, John lewis, Alan Paine Knitwear, British Millerain.


All the discussions have been via email apart from the last where I had a face to face meeting with him in April.


The initial email was a list of questions:
So in the meantime it would be great if you could answer the following questions to assist (some are slightly odd - it is all about
lateral thinking!): -

1. What does SGN stand for? SARAH,GEORGIA,NIGEL  - Hannah and Esmee were born after I started trading
2. Is this name set in stone? NO ... thought about 'LIBERATED LABELS and PACKAGING' as I felt liberated when I finally left my old company
3. What do you like about the existing design? Nowt much only that its quite formal and serious, however I do feel I want to move to more Funky or Classic
4. Do you want to include 'Labels and Packaging' in the design? Yes
4. Why blue? Is colour important to you? Would you need to be able to print your stationary CMYK or would you like to use a Spot colour? eithers fine
5. Some of your competitors have a 'logo' or symbol, would you like one to
represent your brand or are does SGN represent you? Very much, I wouldnt mind working in a clothes hanger subtley somehow but thats not set in stone
6. Who are your current clients including their industry category? Paul Smith, Alan Paine Knitwear, British Millerain, Pretty Green, John Lewis - textiles/garments
7. Which clients or industries are you aiming to promote to in the future? textile manufacturers, designer brands
8. What do you specifically produce? i.e. Do you design? Does your client
specify the design? Print card or fabric labels? Do you offer bespoke packaging? I do all of the questions you ask.
9 What makes your company good? Personal and 20 years experience
10. If your company was a famous person, who would it be and why? I like to think Malcolm Maclaren/Vivienne Westwoods serious side.(if they have one)
11. If your company had a profession, what would it be and why? Artist or Musician
13. If your company was a place, where would it be and why? Prague - Classical with an arty subculture
14. Do you have a favourite logo and what do you like about it? - No, I'm very open minded.


The design sheets are below:



This development has taken a lot of my time over the last three/four months.  I felt this was worthwhile as potentially Nigel would be in a position to pass on work to me should I work freelance.  Also it has been invaluable working with a Client on a live brief - negotiating and compromising not necessarily taking the design where I wanted it to go.  I have also had to develop my Illustrator skills in the process.  

Nigel has picked a design and is going to print with them.  I will get copies for my portfolio.

I plan to send Nigel some of my cards and a link to my website once it is developed.

No comments:

Post a Comment