Monday 11 March 2013

Contacting studios/getting a job!


I re-established contact with Michael at 10 Associates by sending him an email on 15th January however he didnt respond so I do need to send another one soon.

Taking the advise off John about not showing too much I have designed a 'snapshot' digital protfolio which like Lee said should just be a teaser.   These are the slides and the CV I have started sending out:










Following Craig Oldham's Democartic Lecture I was determined to really focus the Studios to contact.  The first emails I sent on 27 February 2013 were to:

Thompson Brand Partners - Sarah (who Andy Lodge knows) and also Richard (the website says to direct Placement enquiries)

Darren at The Engine Room in Huddersfield

Ian Rossin at Brass Agency

I also applied for this job which was advertised on Form 55 at Spencer Creative:


This was the email I sent to Kyle:


Hi Kyle
 My name is Lisa Whitaker and I am currently in my third and final year at Leeds College of Art studying BA (Hons) Graphic Design. I was really excited to see your advertisement on Form 55 not least because it is so rare to find see Junior positions, especially in branding, advertised.
Although I have embraced all elements of the course my practice has become focused on Branding and Identity. I love digging until I really understand a problem or subject. I also realise finding the best solution to engage an audience has to consider both print and digital media so I am constantly challenging myself to learn new skills. My dissertation title was 'Is Vans the brand, relationship with culture, authentic or insidious?' Over the last few months I have also been developing stronger type and layout skill and as part of this was lucky enough to attend Typo 2012 in London.

I hope you find my unique and varied background of interest to you, as detailed in the attached CV.and portfolio snapshot. Also find a link to my online Portfolio:
http://cargocollective.com/lisawhitaker

I understand you may wish to appoint before I graduate on the 24th June however I am available for a placement from 26th March until14th April.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Best regards
Lisa Whitaker

PS I also bake an awesome Victoria Sandwich if you like cake?

Although I got a thanks but no thanks this is what he had to say...which I am taking as a positive.  I sent a copy of my dissertation and also asked for a studio visit for a Portfolio review.


Hi Lisa,

Thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately we are looking for someone who is able to start full-time as soon as possible.

Keep in touch though – we are getting busier, so there could potentialy be opportunities in the future.

Regards,

Kyle

PS. Your dissertation sounds interesting. I would love to read it!


I also applied for a job through the agency Orchard more because I liked the sound of the job and also just to test the water with Agencies as I am not your typical student.  Anyway I got a thanks but no thanks as she did not think i had enough experience to put me forward and just to contact Studios directly.  

I applied for a Junior Graphic Designer at Wakefield Council for a Graphic Designer on 8 March 2013.

I also applied for the following role on 5 March 2013 however have not heard back yet:


I applied for an Internship at a small Branding and Graphic Design studio based in Heckmondwike Called Tainted Media which was advertised on Indeed.





No comments:

Post a Comment