Saturday 23 March 2013

Interview at Wakefield College

Met Stuart Parton the Marketing manager and Sam Holt the Graphic Designer at Wakefield College today. Within five minutes of the interview beginning it became apparent that they wanted to fill the position ASAP.  This came to light as I was explaining the volume of work and intensity of the Course.  They had assumed I was doing a part time degree as the degree is endorsed by The Open university.  They apologised as they said they should have checked this before offering me an interview and very kindly offered to let me pick their brains for half an hour.  I asked if they would let me talk through my portfolio and then get some honest feedback.

It was actually great as I relaxed and wasnt nervous talking through my portfolio.  They were so complimentary about my work and they said they had seen a lot that week.  They also commented on the Task saying it would have been something they could use and worked well with the current design. Stuart liked how I had not just put the Facebook and Twitter icons on the ad but contexualised them by saying 'like us' and the Twitter address.  He suggested it may be worth considering taking an iPad to interviews/visits to demonstrate the work as well as physical copies of the work.  He asked if I had thought about going freelance as he felt my work speaks for itself and should have a problem getting work going forward.

They showed the most recent printed Prospectus's and the print finishes and design are really high quality.  I had a joke with Sam about having the budget for foiling!  She introduced me to some stock I hadnt seen before called Truecard which is matt on one side and gloss on the other.  She wanted the inside to be on gloss stock to achieve more vibrant photos.

Stuart and Sam were both disappointed we couldnt take this further at this stage however said if any placement opportunities come up they will keep my details and let me know.  I have also connected with Stuart on Linked in and sent Sam an email thanking her for the feedback.

Some examples of their current work:











No comments:

Post a Comment