Thursday 26 May 2011

OUGD103 Evaluation


BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
04
 Module Code 
OUGD103               


 Module Title
A DESIGNER’S VOICE


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME

BLOG. ADDRESS


  1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
On the whole I am fairly good at planning my time however I have thought in a more structured manor about time management on this module.  I have been reasonably successful.  I am just disappointed I got so swept away with the After Effects that I let the What is brief slip. 
Learning After Effects has been a revelation.  I am keen to extend this over the summer through tutorials.  I understand we do this in the second year however I have found with Illustrator and Indesign that it has been a massive learning curve just to catch up with the younger people on the course.  I am pleased with the final moving image piece particularly as I only started using this on the 10th of May!
I have thoroughly enjoyed the screen-printing workshops at Vernon Street and at Blenheim Walk.  I am growing in confidence using the facilities and look forward to using them next year.  The outcomes for Do Day were effective and fit for purpose


  1. What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
For all the briefs in this module I have performed some form of primary research.  The Speaking from experience design development changed as a direct result of the survey I did of year 1,2 and 3 students.  This really focussed my secondary research on ‘comfort zones’, which fed directly into the final outcome.
Using online tutorials and also Mike has really informed the software I used to produce the final outcome for Speaking from experience. I was going to use Final Cut or learn Flash however Mike said After Effects was the tool of choice with typographic moving images.  Much easier than producing 700 frames!
I have also done extensive research on various approaches to Typographic moving images which gave me some ideas about the possibilities and moving from frame to frame
The Indesign and type and grid were definitely made stronger when I started looking at other editorial layouts and the Design basics Grid book helped with terminology and rules.



  1. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
When I get a good idea I really run with it and pour my energy into it.  This is great to keep the momentum of a brief going.  I will continue to carry out the high level of varied research I carry out for each brief.  This definitely strengthens outcomes and also can lead you down surprising paths.








  1. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?
I feel uncomfortable with my level of ability to do thumbnails and come up with innovative layouts.  This is definitely an area I need to keep researching and practise to gain confidence in. I also feel the type layout say on the Moving image or in the hot dog fold book comes secondary to the content.  This again is something I need to keep looking at other peoples work, reading about and practising.


  1. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
·       Not get side tracked doing competition briefs when college work is to be done.
·       Think of different approaches to group work when people are not pulling their weight, may avoid tension later in the brief
·       Think through apparent opportunities more carefully.  Although it was good to do the Do Day it was a lot of effort for little return on the day.  Focussing on this meant I got behind with other briefs.
·        Know when to stop with an outcome.  I spent too long perfecting the outcome from speaking from experience which meant I put off the ‘what if ‘brief.  More balance across briefs











6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance




x
Punctuality




x
Motivation




x
Commitment




x
Quantity of work produced



x

Quality of work produced



x

Contribution to the group



x

The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment