Thursday 25 April 2013

Design Strategy Presentation








As usual my nerves came back to haunt me and I really dont know why as I felt comfortable with the people in the room.  One problem was I hadnt left much time to practice it, even though I knew what I wanted to say and had made a few notes.  On a positive note I did control my breathing to a degree by stopping and sipping water.

I am happy with what I communicated just not how.

Basically I started thinking about my journey from before the course and now towards the completion of it.

I discussed how before GD I had always felt like a square peg in a round hole despite always working hard and achieving a great deal I always knew there was more.

My design strategy is

A concept driven Graphic Designer whose interdisciplinary practice reflects my interest in the relationship between Brands, Culture and Lifestyle.

I qualified this my making it simpler - Graphic Design is something I am passionate about, that absorbs and challenges me and I LOVE IT.

I went on to talk about what has shaped me as a designer:

As well as everyone on and involved with LCA the main things that have shaped me include:
Placements
Briefs - Both self initiated and Course Driven
Critical Thinking
Brand me

10 Associates a three week placement last summer really gave me confidence and affirmed by Design Direction.  Focusing on Branding.  Also the small Design Agency scenario felt right from concept developing in Small meeting to client meetings.  Also nice range of commercial clients which offered them scope to 'design' not just market.  On reflection really was the Perfect 10

Space _ I only  visited Space over three separate days.  Taught me the difference between a Design Agency and more Advertising focused Agency.  Used marketing tools called Sensory Space.

Advertising or Design?  I described how I felt I was starting to straddle the two areas.

I was going to talk about Laura Jordan-Bambach of Dare who is VP of D&AD but was running out of time.  An article she wrote in Computer Arts this month brought a lot of clarity to where I think I sit in the industry.  Design is becoming very much integrated with behaviours, experiences across multiple platforms.

Interviews, Portfolio Surgeries and Studio visits

Although I haven't had a huge response from Studios for visits I am pleased with the contacts I have made and what this has taught me.  Spencer Creative a small branding agency was a real contrast to Logistik a large branding and events business.  I could see myself working within either for different reasons.

Job Interviews at Black Marble and Wakefield College

I have come to  realise I have two/three pathways:

1. I can try to get a Junior Graphic Design/Marketing role within an in house marketing/design department for a company or public sector organisation.

2. I can continue getting Studio/Agency visits with a view to getting six to twelve months work experience on my CV which could lead to a job in the Creative Industry ie a Design Agency.

3.  If all else fails I can freelance

I talked through key briefs that had shaped my design practice.  I also discussed how Richard Miles and Critical thinking has changed how I view the world and my place in it.  I question more and understand the importance of thinking about the impact of design and communication on society and culture.

The rest of the presentation is an overview of my Brand collateral and online presence.

I still aspire to intern at a fairly large Branding/Design Agency such as Thompson or Elmwood so will still pursue this. In the meantime I have one month at a great company Logistik which I am excited about.





No comments:

Post a Comment