Saturday 6 April 2013

Interview at Black Marble

I applied for a job on 5 March 2013 I found through the Indeed.co.uk as follows:



I was surprised to be offered an interview as I made it clear I had limited HTML skills as per the online letter which accompanied my CV:

'I am in my final year studying BA (Hons) Graphic Design at Leeds College of Art due to graduate 24th June 2013. I have enjoyed all elements of the course and although my strengths are concept development and branding, I am always challenging myself to learn new skills. I particularly enjoyed learning Adobe After Effects as demonstrated on the TV Ident brief in my Portfolio. We have been given a foundation in HTML and CSS coding in Adobe Dreamweaver, enough to produce a simple four page website. The focus was on Design for Screen rather than developing websites.

The YCN commendation for Heinz Salad Cream was a highlight last year and demonstrates my interest in new technology. One reason the Heinz Team selected our entry was its use of New Generation Technology (Snaptags and Social Media)
Please find a link to my portfolio: http://cargocollective.com/lisawhitaker
I hope my unique background will be of interest to you and look forward to hearing from your soon. Best regards
Lisa'

On researching the company, I was surprised given they are a Software Consultancy how weak their websites is.  There is lots of information which is good from my point of view however its is difficult to make sense of for someone with no knowledge in this area.  On further digging I found they actually do some really cutting edge and interesting work, all be it using Microsoft platforms and software.

The skills required for the role lead me to researching Sharepoint, Microsoft, Natural user Interfaces .  I found some really interesting links to Albert Schum who lead the team who developed the Windows phone.  I will expand on this research on my design context blog.

natural-user-interfaces-part-4-what-s-next

the-role-of-designers-in-a-connected-world


The company is based in a modern business park and on entering I was immediately impressed how comfortable the surroundings were.  The developers play Xbox 360 at lunch in the reception area!  There are sweets, chocolate and drinks free for all the staff.

The interview was with Robert Hogg, the Managing director of the Company, Lauren Fear the Graphic Designer and Abby Mann the HR officer.

Robert spent a lot of time explaining why he set the business up in 1997 and how it had evolved over the years.  His background is a Programmer and he was keen to stress that his company was esoteric.  He referred to those 'fruit' based products as he is Microsoft through and through!  He explained the different services the business offers including Software Consultancy, Developing, UX (User Experience) and Rescue. He stressed the importance he plays on keeping his staff happy and even has a fully stocked kitchen to keep everyone fed!  The staff also get to do a lot of travel and attending events including Microsoft's events in America.  They are taking 18 staff to the Microsoft Build Developers Conference in San Fransisco.

Lauren actually did the Foundation Art and design with Fred and Amber about 10 years ago!  Small world again...

She has basically learnt how to code to provide Graphics for the SUR40 screens which are really impressive.  She also works very closely with the Developers on site.  they want the Junior to both work on their own marketing and also support the digital role.  I can see so many ways I could add value to this business from its branding and identity point of view.  Lauren explained that she has not had chance to do anything with the website since 2007 which explains a lot.   I have been checking her background she did a Multimedia Design degree at University of Cumbria.

They asked me what I could bring to the business and I actually said how surprised I was being offered an interview however Lauren said she really liked my on line portfolio.  I think I could bring tighter type and layout and strong visual identity to the business.  The programming/coding doesn't scare me I would actually relish the challenge.  they actually want to develop someone with XAML

XAML overview

Overall I was with them for two and half hours.  Robert offered to sum up what they thought about me in front of me so I could discuss this with them.  This was such a refreshing approach.  They felt my GD skills were strong but were sure how I would cope with learning about programming and working with the Developers!

I am happy with the experience as it has presented quite a different opportunity into a more digital role than I had originally thought possible.  It has also opened up researching User Experience which ties in with the research I am undertaking on the Branding/Lifestyle themes.  If I was to be offered anything its just deciding whether I want to go over to the other side!












No comments:

Post a Comment