Saturday 27 April 2013

Recruitment Agency

I found a job advertised through an agency called Gloss and was going to call for advice about whether my background made would make any difference to prospective employers.  I have already contacted an agency called Orchard about a job and basically their advise, despite my background, is to target Design studios for placements.  In the meantime I noticed a link on the Gloss' website to a sub company called Creative Protege.  I forwarded this to John as I wasn't sure how legitimate this was. John said there are companies out there like this and usually charge a fee so to scrutinise the T&Cs and don't sign anything!

I scrutinised whats on offer however its not until you start registering that a fee is mentioned.  The fees aren't extortionate by any means however I don't believe I need the CV or on line portfolio help as I basically have this covered.  What interests me is the opportunity to get live briefs and apparently three months 'experience' with a employer on your CV.  They really are in a win-win situation as they will get paid for these briefs by their clients and then get graduates to do the work for free.



I think for me this would be a last resort as I can offer to do live briefs freelance for free(I know we shouldn't) but that's what this is basically.  The only benefit would be you are 'registered' with them and you may be successful securing employment through the agency in the future.  It has given me an idea though.  There is no harm in me approaching companies who i think need a rebrand and seeing if we can come up with a mutually beneficial arrangement.

When I went to Black Marble (the company who really wanted someone to develop into a developer) their own branding/website is shocking especially for a business in this industry.  I really could see how I could have made an immediate impact on the company and I have been thinking of emailing Robert Hogg and telling him so maybe with a few ideas...he seems a really fair employer and if he was interested I am sure I could get paid.




No comments:

Post a Comment