Monday 1 April 2013

Spencer Creative Studio visit/Portfolio review

Thursday 28 March 2013

I had applied for the Junior Graphic Design role at Spencer and this had set up a dialogue with Kyle Bibby.  The hook had been my dissertation theme - Vans!  I discovered a couple more interesting links as well as Spencers employing Liv Greaves of LCABAGD Kyle was actually from the first graduating year!  He designed the prospectus that I got before visiting the college.

I had a couple of hours at the studio where Kyle talked through the work of Spencer which is was really intersting seeing it through a smaller Studios eyes.  They have some reasonably large clients such as Virgin Care.  I then went through my portfolio and he particularly liked the Heinz Salad Cream brief.  I asked him for honest feedback and he said that Studios want Juniors that can get stuck into good type and layout straight away.  He pointed out a couple of inconsistencies on my Circus Visitors guide which would not be acceptable.  He felt we didnt do enough on Software skills at Uni and I said I think it depends on your motivation at Uni.   I think I have always pushed my skills beyond the workshops so am I challenge myself.

Overall it was a really good chat and I liked Kyle. I talked about my dissertation with him and he has loved Vans, Skateboarding and BMX for years so he was really interested in what I had to say.

Another contact made on Linked in.


No comments:

Post a Comment